Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sunshine and rape exams


I’m so happy today it’s annoying. I’ve told the story at least ten times today so I wont again, but long story short, I was in a deep financial murk, with a loan held up, causing me to take a loan from my parents….never a good things. Well then an unlikely angel of mercy (the US government) came to my aid and rescued me (rather offered me money that solves literally all of my problems). Hurray. Now as a kid I was never into princesses but damn it feels good to be rescued. I may have to do this more often.

That was one of those stereotypical girl things that never got a hold of me, princesses. I mean what was the appeal? They sat around all day waiting to be saved. I always wanted to be queen. I joked about this a lot growing up and then one day my mother told me it wasn’t a joke it was the truth. And to quote her “and you didn’t want to be the queen to have better jewels and a king, but to have absolute power”. This seems harsh. And unfortunately true. I was always more interested in adventure stories and I liked girls that got out there and did things. I LOVED Nancy Drew. (you can imagine my dismay at the recently released film version, which not only made her too young but seemed to want to add into the mix some crap about the perils of fitting in at school et al, everything that ND wouldn’t have given a rats ass about). Nancy was bad ass. If something happened she got in there to figure it out and by any means necessary. She was also a stylish teenager- early 20’s gal with a sweet due and an even sweeter ride (I should mention I was an avid reader of the early original Nancy Drew. They were re-done in the 70’s I believe, to modernize them, but for me early Nancy is the only Nancy). Needless to say, these childhood fantasy preferences seemed to have had a residual effect in my adult life, but on this day, and I sat feeling the warmth of relief, I could at least understand it a little.

And speaking of women who sit around and wait for things to happen: Sarah Palin. Oh she’s done it this time. I was cruising around on the net when I was led to an article at CNN.com that discussed Palins unofficial endorsement of victim funded rape exams. Basically, to summarize very briefly, while she was a governor in Alaska, the state had issues, due in large part to aforementioned town, passing legislation regarding rape exams. Her town was one that required a rape victim to pay for her exam. Just hearing it took me aback a little. Now the article did its best to be fair and say she had not made specific rulings on this issue. However, the miscellaneous fund that these exam costs had been previously taken from was reduced, the man that orchestrated it fired, and issues with legislation hindered by this town. Now as a women I can’t even fathom this for two reasons:

  1. Sarah Palin, you know Sarah as in proud owner of a vagina, choose in her term to, at the very least, ignore this issue that is pretty high up on a women’s rights agenda. Next, women don’t need a right to choose just cause it’s our body. Women don’t need to vote, they need to take the kids to hockey practice.
  2. Even if she hadn’t deliberately orchestrated this, or supported this, how could she just let it ride? Who in her campaign think tank thought that would be a good issue to ignore? Let’s face facts: assuming all moral issues (enough women don’t report rape cases due to the invasive nature of them as is, let alone if they had to pay for the exam), and there are considerable, as well as economic (sorry due to the millions without health insurance rape is only a charge that rich people can afford) let’s remember that men don’t always support women in position of power. And to be fair some women don’t always trust members of opposite genders to represent their needs, though I am excluding for the sake of time all of those men who would rather see Palin in a kitchen then an office. And since she has already natural and maybe undefeatable male resistance, she is also shunning an issue paramount to women and their rights. Is she a nimrod? Is this bitch fucking retarded (that is a proper use but that’s a different blog for a different day)?

Now I’m not delving complete into this. We could be here for days. And I’m in too delirious a mood to ruin it by thinking about this women and her idiocy. So I’ll sum up:

  1. Nancy Drew kicks ass, and I want to be her
  2. regardless of this, an occasional rescue by a knight in shinning armor doesn’t suck
  3. Palin is a terrible person (added to my list, right under Chenney, that remind me evil is real and that prayer is necessary)
  4. If you’re a woman that gets in that booth a votes for her, I hope you get raped and have no insurance to pay for the exam that will facilitate any manner of legislation on your behalf. And while you’re at it, if you get shot, I hope they have to take money out of your estate for ballistics. And when the cops come to interview your mourning family, they also have to make them a sandwich. Government money doesn’t grow on trees you know
  5. I didn’t mean any of that. I hope no one gets raped. That’s awful. I’m just angry
  6. Instead write a letter to Mrs. Palin and say “do you know what the difference is between a hockey mom and a pit bull? Who cares I can rape poor people”
  7. Don’t be a fool, stay in school. And get someone else to pay for it

No comments: