Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Palin….I can’t believe it’s not Clinton

I am sick. How awful. It’s my third week of law school and I sound like a sniffling Kathleen Turner. I can’t focus on my work and everything, including strawberry kiwi Snapple, by far the most delectable flavor, taste like ass.

However, I am consoled by the distinctively fall feeling that was in the air today. I love fall. Maybe it’s a New England thing, but I couldn’t live without fall. It’s the most pleasant weather, most beautiful in terms of foliage, you get fresh apples. Oh and the clothing. As far as dressing is concerned, fall is my favorite. I am now eagerly awaiting whipping out the boots, blazers, scarves, wool and other assorted fall trappings.

The only thing I’m not looking forward to is election time. I can’t help but feel like, despite the past 8 years of declining economy, war, and general political unrest, mixed with atrocious forgiven policy and a torture loving “war on terror”, Americans will still refuses to do what’s right for them. And an aside, I have to note that I’m especially disgusted with Palin. I can hear the arguments for her from here to Sunday, but still I can’t shake the notion that her appointment as VP candidate seems to be an effort on the part of the Republican Party to pick up the vote of those still upset over Obama’s victory over Hilary. I loved Hilary. She had my complete and undying support. And as upset as I was at her lose, and however much that upset manifested itself in snide comments about Obama, I would love to know what self respecting person would honestly think that Palin makes an adequate replacement. And while most of the republicans I know like to argue that she wasn’t chosen to pick up the “scorned Hilary” vote, I can’t fathom a reason to choose her otherwise. As a politician she seems tragically sub-par, especially when you consider the negative press the Republican Party has garnered over the past 8 years. They need someone who really demonstrates the promise of a better administration, and I just don’t get that from her. So why choose her if not to get people like me to vote republican, because as far as I can see her only true qualification is that she is the least offensive female in the Republican Party? And what runs through the republican’s minds if they think someone as hum-drum as that is ever in our minds going to replace Clinton. If there were ever anyone to respect in politics it’s her. All business all the time, with a mindful eye to our people and their concerns. I know a lot of people don’t like Hilary, as they don’t any women who is a position of power (not to sound like a militant feminist but judging by the men and few women who share this view, the argument is hard to refute, I’m sorry to say). Though my favorite response from Hilary detractors has for the past few months been “if we have Hilary it’ll just be like having bill all over again”

A great economy and good foreign relations!! Oh my god NO!!!

Republican party, I am insulted that you think so little of my political choices to think that any vagina in the place of Clinton will suffice. Let’s just hope the rest of my party feels the same. But I’m sure they will. It reminds me of a discussion I had with an especially adorably naive young republican.

“Alex how could you be a liberal”

“Easy. I have an education”

No comments: