Thursday, October 2, 2008

The last days of disco....Alex rule


Everywhere I’m going

Everywhere I’ve been

I’m always moving in circles

But I’ll never give in

Today I went into my surprisingly empty classroom and talked about how dumb Sarah Palin is. Then I remembered that I had a class before this one (hence the empty) and freaked out. This was God’s little way of putting me in my place after I called Palin dumb.

My prof wasn’t upset though. He asked when I came in, if there was some sort of traffic problem and I said “no. I just forgot I had class” and he just laughed

Dare I say this was the work of the …..Alex rule

Note on the Alex Rule:

1. The Alex rule, though named after me, is not about me. It came about one day when anonymous person A commented about how annoying the actions of anonymous person B where. I said this wasn’t fair because if I had done the same thing she wouldn’t be mad at me. To this she relied “but your Alex”. Thus the Alex rule was born. And while I realize it is incredibly self-aggrandizing to even mention it, keep in mind it applies to everyone, and I’m insisting the name stay as it is the first and very likely the last thing to be named after me, and if I can only have one thing I would like it to be a sociological concept (or is this psychological? orthogonal? Radical? Nonsensical?

2. The Alex rule in its simplest form is a concept where the actions of one person do not offend you (or are “ok”) because the person committing said actions, has in some way, been elevated of the standards to which you hold another.

ex: When an effeminate gay man working for the gap tells you your pants make you look fat, its ok. He is being honest. He doesn’t want you walking around in anything but your best

When a 20-something year old female working for the Gap tells you the same, she must be destroyed

Alex Rule

3. The Alex rule is a possible defense for actions in certain situations. For example, when you perceive potential backlash to a comment it can sometimes be countered by the Alex rule, but not always.

4. Those to whom the Alex rule applies, do not have absolute protection under it. Even those with seeming invincibility under the rule will cross the line eventually.

5. If you do not fall under the rule, it is futile to try……sorry. You will have to be one of those few among us who have to watch what they say

6. The Alex rule differs from person to person. What offends one, is totally cool under the Alex rule to another

7. Despite the origins of the concept a few years ago, there is reason to believe that all Alex’s fall under this rule, and it may be necessary to pretend this concept has classic historical backing, starting with Alexander the Great.

Other great Alex’s: Alexander Graham Bell, Alex of “A Clockwork Orange”, Alexander I, II & III of Russia, not to mention Alexandra the Czarina of Russia, Alex Trebek, Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand, Alex Van Halen, Tropical Storm Alex, Lex Luther……

I sent out my first resume and therefore, after attending a lecture on professionalism decided it was wise to erase/ untag all my “naughty” picture on facebook today. I guess the childhood is officially over.

Ode to Alexandra’s now dead childhood:

I liked being little

Not good at anything other

Never liked to settle

And I was my own big brother

Now I’m older then sin

What a state I am in

A lifer, a worker a lover

The end

In more ways then I think I am prepared to realize.

On a happy note I heard a good joke today:

“Sarah Palin is debating tonight”

haha knee slap

No comments: