Tuesday, October 27, 2009

ten second break from Law

So Chris helping me move the other day, stumbling onto my writing journals from college has inspired me to dust off one of my interactive poems.
Brief history: inspired one day by all of those myspace questionnaires that were floating around, I wrote one day (I think around jr. year) a questionnaire that could be used to write a poem. The concept for me was that the list itself is the poem and that it forces the reader to interact with it, creating something unique to each reader, making it both personal to the reader and myself (ie, I dictate your poem but it is subject to the interpretation of the person reading). Here is one of my poems as well as my response to it (below. An interesting note is that in addition to every person reading the poem differently, it is different with every day too:

Super list poem
List two books you’ve read in the last month
List two singers by last name
List an article you read in the paper (can be an illusion to the subject)
Name a Johnny Depp film
Name a Cillian Murphy film
Name a foreign film
The last place you had an alcoholic beverage
What is your favorite word
Your favorite color, book, film today
A song title (as in the song that just got stuck in your head as soon as you read this line)
What is your favorite curse word and why
Add punctuation, prepositions and conjunctions

Cases and Materials on Patent Law and Johnny the Homicidal maniac
Ma Ross
Communism isn’t a bad enough word for Republicans anymore
The Man Who Cries, at the Edge of Love
Spain, the bar across the street
Disgruntled and Blue,
With Breakfast on Pluto and a Mission to Mars
Hang me up to dry, fuck,
because versatility is key.

Hurray!! That was Fun!!!

No comments: